Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Where to Start

The flute is a great instrument, and many people enjoy playing it. But where to start if someone wish to play the flute either by themselves or flute lessons.

Here, I will share my experiences on how i practice my flute and hope that this blog will help friends that plan to take flute as their musical instruments. I am not professional as I don't perform in orchestra but my playing is not bad and I took music education in university and hope to give ideas to help friends that want to play flutes. Sometimes I play flute in my favorite songs. There is no problem for me as I master almost all the skills. And the important things I learn all these all by myself. In my university, there are no lecturers major in flute instrument. So, all students which take flute as major instruments were likely have to be independent.

I still remembered when the first time I play the flute. In the ensemble class, we were gathered together to choose our major instruments for our next 4-year study. The name was arranged in order of alphabet, so my order was almost the last as my name is Susana. When my turn came, almost all instruments were taken by my other friends.


Music lecturer: Which instrument you want to take?
Susana: Can I take flute?

Music lecturer: Let’s test by this. If you can blow sound from this marker pen lid, then I let you take, how?

He gave the lid to me then I blew through the lid and it made sound. He was very happy.

Music lecturer: Wow, you are certainly born to be a flutist. OK, you will take flute as major instrument.

Of course, I was very happy because I got to choose flute as I wanted. Then my flute world started finally. I never play the flute before even touch it. I was very excited and looking forward to the next class.

No comments: